“My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.” ~Author Unknown
All of our dogs are fostered in private homes, and since we do not at this time have a brick and mortar kennel facility for you to visit, our adoptions follow the guidelines outlined below. This serves the best interests of the dogs in our care, helps match you with the dog that will really fit in with your family and lifestyle, and keeps our volunteers safe and happy too.
We do our best to find the right home for our Beagles, and the right Beagle for your home.
1. Read over our Adoption Requirements.
2. Complete our Online Application. Incomplete applications will not be processed.
3. Your application will be reviewed and if complete, will be assigned to one of our Adoption Counselors. Your references (veterinary and personal and if applicable, landlord) will be called. If we know based on your preferences that we do not have a possible, appropriate match for you, we may refer you to another organization instead of processsing your application for a dog we know we do not have.
4. Telephone Interview – A telephone interview will be arranged to review your application and further discuss Beagles, the type of dog you would like to adopt, and the adoption process. This call typically takes about one hour, but can be longer. It will give you time to ask us questions you may have regarding the Beagle breed and adoption.
5. Home Visit – Although we do not require home visits for each and every adopter, this may be a step in the process. The determination of a home visit is made on a case-by-case basis. Typically, our volunteer will bring a beagle along for the visit whenever a home visit is conducted.
6. Approval – If all goes well with the above outlined steps, you will be approved for adoption. At this point we will do our best to match you with a beagle that would do well in your home and has the qualities you specified in your interview. If you were interested in a specific beagle, we try to honor that interest, but make no guarantees. Sometimes the “story” or photo of a particular dog motivates someone to apply and in the process of screening the applicant we find that the particular dog they thought was “perfect” for them is anything but. If that happens, and/or if we do not have the right dog for you we will refer you to another local organization.
7. Meet-and-Greet/Adoption – We require all family members (including currently owned dogs) to travel to our foster home in Eastern PA or NJ for a “meet-and-greet”. This gives us the opportunity to make sure that everyone is in agreement that the dog you have been matched with is a good “fit” with your family and pets. If so, the adoption will be executed, and the dog will be taken home that same day. You will receive an adoption packet with the adoption contract, veterinary records, and informational materials.
Please note that we do request that you keep in touch with us on a regular basis. Follow-up and ongoing support is something we believe in. We conduct yearly calls to be sure that all is going well. The reason for this? YOUR dog was once OUR foster dog. They lived with us, learned with us and we will always feel a bond with that particular dog. Also, keeping in touch with us means we are always available to answer questions and provide support if needed for the life of your dog. Nothing makes us happier than hearing about how well your new family member is settling in.
Congratulations on completing the first step to adding a Beagle to your family!